Call them what you will, Boomer women, older women or—my preference—PrimeTime Women. Women aged 50-70 are in the prime of their lives and represent an amazing marketing opportunity. But what do these Boomer women care about? And what strategies are best for marketing to Boomer women?
For my book, PrimeTime Women, I worked with agency powerhouse DDB Chicago to learn what makes Boomer women tick. We conducted Girlfriend Groups with women in their 40s, 50s and 60s, respectively. DDB also has a remarkable research knowledge base in their proprietary Life Style Study that has captured a treasure trove of consumer and category data for over 30 years.
What You Need to Know About Marketing to Boomer Women
Here are five amazing facts about marketing to Boomer women. These are key aspects about Boomer women marketers need to know.
- Experiencing the Joy of Being – What is particularly striking about the Boomer woman is the contentment, joy and enthusiasm with which she lives her life. Although she describes herself as serious, being serious does not equate to being negative. She’s happier and more content and possesses a brighter, more optimistic disposition than Generation X and Millennial women who are many years who junior.
- Relishing Liberation – Boomer women relish their liberation. Identifying with their new-found sense of freedom and independence will ensure your marketing efforts resonate with Boomer women. But this isn’t the same old “women’s liberation” you’ve heard about your entire life. Boomer women are redefining the term. They are enjoying a “liberation from expectation.” Even in the face of challenges and demands on their time like children moving back home and caring for aging parents, most Boomer women still say that they feel freer than they did when they were younger.
- Rocking Her World – You need to rock her world when it comes to marketing to Boomer women. The social and political activism that was the imprimatur of the 1960s is still alive among Boomer women, and beating with a much stronger heart than is the one beating in younger women. Many of the more activist attitudes and behaviors that were formed when Boomer women were in their youth have stayed with them as they’ve gotten older. They still want their voices to be heard—be they liberal or conservative.
- Brimming with Confidence – In the Girlfriend Groups conducted with DDB Chicago,Boomer women told us that getting older better equips them to make decisions more confidently than when they were younger. They know how to handle unexpected turbulence and how to get around obstacles in ways that younger women have yet to figure out. With age comes experience. And with experience comes wisdom. This wisdom has given Boomer women confidence and control over their lives, indeed a swagger.
- Living Life in “Drive” – 59% of Boomer women agree with the statement, “My greatest achievements are still ahead of me.” Further, Boomer women have a very clear idea of what it is they want to achieve and how they are going to get there. Over two-thirds (68%) of Boomer women agree, “I am the kind of person who knows what I want to accomplish in life and how to achieve it.”